The original Iosco County Fair was formed in 1875 and continued until the mid-1930s when it was discontinued because of poor county economy. Any record of that fair organization is not available, but exhibitions were held in the Tawas area.
In 1943, the local 4-H clubs held and "Exhibition Day" in the Iosco County garage in Tawas City and the possibility of again holding an Iosco County Fair was discussed.
The first meeting of the Iosco County Agricultural Society, as we know it, was held in the Plainfield Township Hall in Hale in July 1944. Area citizens of the Pomona Grange of Grant, Reno, Burleigh and Plainfield Townships met again in August 1944 and the association was organized under the Statutes of the State of Michigan and the Iosco Agricultural Society. Addies Scofield acted as chairperson and Harold Black as secretary-treasurer. The charter date was October 31, 1944. The first 50 consecutive years of Iosco County Fairs was held October 26th and 27th (some records show October 28th also) of 1944. Premium list payment that year amounted to $399.87.
Over the years, many additions and improvements have been made to the fairgrounds. In 1949, property was purchased, and bleachers were built. Board members harvested lumber to build new horse barns. Society members donated trucks, tractors, saws and labor to make these improvements.
In the early 1960s, restrooms were built, the new community building was used for exhibits and new livestock and poultry barn were constructed. In 1968, an old CCC building was purchased and moved to the property and booths were built for displays of arts and crafts, canned and baked goods, antiques and 4-H exhibits. Premium list payments that year amounted to nearly $3,000.